Re: [Healeys] Door catch alignment-BJ-8

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Door catch alignment-BJ-8
From: "Mark LaPierre" <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:12:23 -0400
Bill,
     I have been going through this for the last 2 weeks.   Wish I had your
problems.  I would much rather drill  new holes or grind the old ones larger
than to put up with doors that DO NOT aline
no matter what you try.
    There is quite a bit of adjusting leeway since the holes are oval rather
than a circle.   Do the aluminum threshold plates line up with the new door
jams?    A dremel tool or drill with a couple of grinding bits worked for
me.  Most adjustments or new
holes will be covered up by the chrome plates or aluminum trim anyway.
Don't forget to install the shim or shims behind the latch.  These do help
center the latch in and out which is important for the final fit.
   This is a time consuming, fiddly job.  So do a little at a time with some
breaks (or days) in between.
   Your latches are a little different than my BT7  but the procedure is the
same.

Mark