Re: [Healeys] HD8 carb leaking

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] HD8 carb leaking
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:16:44 -0700
Tom,

Others will likely chime in, but here's my HO:

Because of the throttle interconnect, you pretty much have to remove
both carbs simultaneously.  I think if you don't you risk side loads on
the bushings or even bending the shafts trying to contort one carb off
the manifold.

The funky choke mechanism on the HD8s have been discussed quite a bit on
this list (usually, it's trouble getting the choke activation arms to
return--supplemental springs are one approach).   There is no magic
bullet; you just have to get everything as clean, lightly lubed (I like
silicone oil for this) and smooth-working as possible.  Make sure
there's no binding in the cables (from the knob to the choke arms), the
choke/throttle augment mechanism operates smoothly and that both cables
are set the same, with just a little slack.  If the cables don't pull
evenly the result will be that the bar that connects both cables to the
single cable to the knob will be cocked in its bracket (on the firewall).

As for removing/installing the carbs, all I can offer is to reach under
the carbs from the front and use a stubby open-end wrench (don't think a
ratcheting box-end will fit, unfortunately).  It's when I do this job
I'm glad I have small hands (but big feet ;)

bs