Re: [Healeys] Brake servo repair - Pt. 2 (redux)

To: Frank Magnusson <fmags@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake servo repair - Pt. 2 (redux)
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:39:12 -0700
On further thought regarding (my words):

"Ironically, if you could get to the bolts attaching the canister to the
body without opening the canister you probably wouldn't need to open the
vacuum canister at all; I think the rubber diaphragm should last a long
time and there's nothing you can do to service or replace it anyway
(this type doesn't need the dry lube on the inside of the canister as
the perimeter of the diaphragm is pinched to between the two halves of
the canister). "

I think this is not entirely correct; what often fails on these servos
is the "gland seal" which seals around the conrod from the vacuum piston
to the M/C piston.  They either wear so they don't seal properly or get
brittle and crack from age and non-use; either way this allows brake
fluid into the vacuum canister which can find its way into the intake
manifold.  If I recall correctly, you have to "break" the vacuum
canister from the servo body to get at this seal.

bs