Re: [Healeys] Engine Sticks Up Too High

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine Sticks Up Too High
From: healeyguy@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:36:21 -0400
Marvin
This is dated info, about 15 years ago, but hope this helps. I used the
stock type M manifolds and I thought the front carb was to high also.
More than thought, it was too high.  First found that the new front
motor mount pads where about 1/8 inch thicker than the origianals. This
pushes the engine up a bit at sits in a V. Also makes it hard to get
the mount bolts lined up. Changing the pads and wiggling all the mount
bolts to their lowest possible engine position helped.  Next found that
the M manifolds where not originals but where machined from castings
made later (not in the 1950's).  The surface machined at the
manifold/head interface on the manifolds was off by about 3 degrees (if
I remnember the number correctly). That made the difference and the
carbs now set correctly under the bonnet
Aloha
Perry