[Healeys] 100 Aluminium Head

To: healey.nut@gmail.com, tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] 100 Aluminium Head
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:37:03 EDT
Tadeusz--

I have a Denis Welch AL head on my 100 which I purchased in 2001 after my
original head cracked a long way from home, but that is another story.  I
don't
know what DW is selling now but at the time there were three stages  of
porting available and I opted for the middle one (fast street or fast rallye
as I
recall) along with the matching tubular steel headers.  I also  purchased the
recommended steel head gasket, hardened studs, etc.

I have had no problems, seeping, etc. and have probably  put 50K miles on the
car since then, including trips across the US and from  Canada to Mexico.  I
believe I have only retorqued the head  once--maybe I should do that, or
perhaps leave best alone.

The DW head is an expensive item and if you are not having problems with
your iron one there is probably no good reason to change now unless you are on
serious weight reduction program or want a performance upgrade.  At the  time
I bought mine Southern Carburettor (UK) was also making an AL head--perhaps
they are the Moss source.  It's interesting to contemplate that more than  one
company has gone to the trouble and cost of developing a  replacement head
for a the production of which was only 10,000  units.  But as they say, there
are two kinds of 100 heads:   Those that have cracked and those waiting to....

Best--Michael Oritt
1954 100 LeMans