Re: [Healeys] OFF TOPIC -Computer - Anti-virus Software

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] OFF TOPIC -Computer - Anti-virus Software
From: RThrift <rthrift@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:23:35 -0700
NOT true.
John, I recognize your IT experience is different than my experience.  (But I'm
not running for VP.)  I have had one computer negatively affected by McAfee,
and another computer negatively affected by Norton Symantec.  Not irretrievably
in either case, in part because I have more experience with computers than the
average citizen wants to have, but quite irritating nonetheless.  I don't plan
to throw my $$ at either again.  Avast works just fine; I like it better than
AVG since it doesn't add AVG's irritating tag to outgoing Emails.

I have seen people argue vehemently for one or the other based on a very small
sample size.  I doubt that either AVG or Avast works notably better than the
other in the real world.  And my impression is that that goes for Symantec &
McAfee bloatware as well, certainly not enough better to warrant the yearly $$.

Richard Thrift

---- John Homonek <jhomonek@mindspring.com> wrote:
Len and Listers,

I would opt not for free antivirus software.  Free antivirus is just that
...free and barely adequate.  Would you underinsure your Healey hoping not
to have an accident?

You get what you pay for when it comes to antivirus products.  My best
advice is to spend the money on a quality product.  Their staff cracks
viruses and offer updates  much faster than the free ones.

You will spend much more on a PC cleaning by a technician when you get hung out
to dry when the free versions of antivirus fails to deliver.

Just my humble (and educated IT) opinion.

John E. Homonek II
President - Atlanta Chapter AHCA
www.atlantahealeys.org
bn7@mindspring.com