Re: [Healeys] FW: Things that make you go Hmm!

To: <rnbmail@yahoo.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Things that make you go Hmm!
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:40:21 +0000
I think you are right. probably caused but a lean condition from the rear
carb. causing a hot spot in the head (hottest part of the engine is the
exhaust valve right?) Working on that now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bill Lawrence
> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:25:09 -0700
> From: rnbmail@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Things that make you go Hmm!
> To: healeys@autox.team.net; ynotink@msn.com
>
> Bill,
>
> Never happened to me on a British push rod engine, but I would rationalize
your failure as one of the following.... as your push rod was not bent and the
cup/nothing was broken - I am assuming standard lifter and rocker surfaces and
profiles:
> 1. The valve stuck open for enough time for the push rod to be floating and
therefore side step the tapet
> 2. The aggressive ? cam profile you are using allowed the inertia of the rod
and valve train to not immediate follow the profile - pretty unlikely
> 3. The push rod temporarily bent under stress at right rpm due to a natural
frequency standing wave being set up in the rod but did not break - long
enough to pop out.