[Healeys] Rear Leaf Springs/Axle on Frame Problem Solved

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Healeys] Rear Leaf Springs/Axle on Frame Problem Solved
From: "Dan Stromquist" <dan@warner-associates.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:08:06 -0500

We lossened the U bolts and moved things around some making sure the
brackets, pads and all related hardware was properly centered and mounted
and that solved the problem.  I am not sure what was off but the axle now
sits properly about 1 inch above the frame rails instead of flush tight to
the rails.  Best that I can say is that if things do not line up right on
the nut it causes that axle to shift.  One comment I heard more than once
was to beware of the springs provided by M*** and Vic***** Br*****.  Now, in
their defense, my springs were purchased 2 years ago and they may have
corrected the problem.  My springs do seem to set the car a little high and
it may be that it will take some time for things to settle down proper.
Thanks for all the help.

We discovered the axle position problem as we were trying to solve a silent
rear end rumble feel that seemed to occur only at about 55-60 MPH.  We
replaced the seal in the pumkin at the drive shaft and tightened the nut on
the pinion and added a little lock tight but have not road tested it yet.
It almost felt like the rear end gears did not match up quite right and you
could feel the slight shake-but only at a certain high speed.  Maybe this is
that harmonic shake/vibration that listers comment on from time to time.  I
did not weld the brace in the frame as was suggested.

Dan