Re: [Healeys] Happy Birthday

To: ATIGHTPROD@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Happy Birthday
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:43:02 +0000
Stephen

This is likely to be the old method of defining the size of the engine
from which different taxes might derive.

It is the earlier British method used before total displacement in c.c.
came into use around 1947. It was called the RAC system. For more
reading see

http://www.diracdelta.co.uk/science/source/r/a/rac%20horsepower%20rating/
source.html

and others, Google - old Horsepower rating

However I believe that the figure 16 is wrong. If my memory serves me
correctly a 100 engine would be 18 HP in 'old money'.

For example the 2.2 litre version of our engine started life in the
Austin 16 rated at 16 HP and without any significant changes became the
2.2 litre in the Austin A70 Hampshire rated as giving 68 bhp.

As you will see Austin used the old and new Horsepower ratings when
naming a model.

Regards

--
John Harper