Re: [Healeys] Sebring 2009

To: "'James Sailer'" <bj8Healey@msn.com>, "'Healey List'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Sebring 2009
From: "Heard" <heard@datatrontech.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:13:33 -0400
Jim,
We go every year.  Have been for quite some time.  The hotels are hard to
get and the prices are high.  So high, we finally quit spending the night
there since we only live about 70 miles away.  I now only go on race day but
used to go for 3 or 4 days.  Anyway, the last time I tried to book a hotel
several years ago, the few I checked wanted a 5 day minimum at a rate of
about $200/day.  This is not for Hilton or Marriott, this is for Econo Lodge
and mom and pops.  $1000 for a race is just a little more than I can take.
I will say thought that last year, I noticed a brand new Hampton nearby
(probably techncially in Lake Wales), so you might try that but do it now.
You have to remember there is no reason to go to Sebring other than the race
or to retire, so there just aren't many hotels.

If you are not familiar with Sebring, there are berms all over the place you
can sit or stand (bring your own chair).  We have almost always tried to
stake out a spot in the infield on the S curve, but it is getting tougher to
do that. There is a lot of fun stuff to see but be prepared to walk a lot.

You can bring as much food and drinks (of any kind) as you like, so go early
and stay late.  A word of caution...when you get there early, it is likely
to be pretty chilly, but when the sun comes up, you'll be looking for
somewhere to purchase some shade.  It will really cook you if you don't have
hats, umbrellas, and the like.

Heard