[Healeys] Healey vs. Mustang - Pt. II

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Healey vs. Mustang - Pt. II
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 08:05:43 -0700
Interesting (to me, at least), the Mustang rearend uses a panhard rod,
just like the earlier Healeys (the BJ8 uses radius arms, theoretically a
more modern design).   Of course, the Mustang rearend is largely
unchanged since it was a contemporary of the BJ8.

I've got fat radials and a smaller-than-stock Derrington steering wheel
so it takes some muscle to turn, but the Healey has, IMO, a better
steering ratio than the Mustang's power steering.   For a tight corner,
I can grab the wheel with one hand and crank it, while the Mustang
requires some hand-over-hand for the same corner.

The Bullitt Mustang supposedly has a more "tuned" suspension than a
stock GT, but the Healey with its original Armstrongs is only a tad
harsher ride, and seems less affected by seams and grooves in concrete
roads.

And, although I haven't measured it myself, I'll bet the 60-0 stopping
distance of my Healey with its Ferodo pads is at least a few feet
shorter than the Mustang's (not noted for particularly good brakes,
despite an "upgrade" from the standard GT's).

Anyway, I was wondering if driving the Healey after driving the Mustang
daily would make me feel like I was back in my father's Model A but, not
to worry, the Healey is hardly a downgrade in driving experience.  Yet
another testament to how well these cars were sorted out--especially
given the financial, technological and materials constraints--by Donald
and Geoff more than 50 years ago.

Bob