Re: [Healeys] Steering lever removal

To: "'Stephen Hutchings'" <s.hutchings@rogers.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering lever removal
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:45:45 -0500
Hi Stephen,
You need to purchase a Pitman Arm Puller. They have them at Princess Auto
item #8105223.
The jaws of the puller have to be trimmed slightly to fit over the shaft
between the arm and the body.
Then you install the castellated nut upside down until its face is just
level with the end of the thread to protect the shaft.
I then slide a small piece of 3/8" steel plate between the end of the
forcing screw and the nut/shaft for further protection. This will prevent
the end of the shaft collapsing as a result of its being weakened where the
split pin hole is drilled.
Tighten the hex on the puller, I use an impact gun, and Bob's your uncle.
Wear safety glasses, they come off with a bit of a bang.

Michael Salter
100 (1953) #174
AHX12 (1953)
Bugeye (1961)