Re: [Healeys] Flywheel Timing Marks BN1

To: Marvin James <britcrs@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Flywheel Timing Marks BN1
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:34:27 +0000
Marvin

The original timing marks on the flywheel are a hangover from when this
item first appeared on an Austin 16. This had a hole in the top area of
the bell housing that lined up with the marks on flywheel. The gearbox
casing had timing marks around this hole. A small cover, held in place
with two screws, was fitted to cover the hole to keep the dirt out. For
this marking to be of use the flywheel had to be fitted with these marks
at TDC. This hole did not appear on BN1 or BN2 gearbox casings so there
were no accurate timing marks on a 100. An imprecise pointer was added
to the timing chain cover of later engines but the corresponding mark on
the edge of the crankshaft pulley was not always to be seen so it is
hard to say when the both timing marks first appeared together.

If a flywheel; although balanced before fitting to the engine has been
balanced again when fitted to the whole engine then it is important that
it goes back to the same place rotationally. If not a good overall
balance can turn into an imbalance. Have you removed the flywheel after
full engine balance and if you did, did you replace it in the same
position?

Best Regards

--
John Harper