Re: [Healeys] Osculating Vibration-Rear End BJ8

To: Dan Stromquist <dan@warner-associates.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Osculating Vibration-Rear End BJ8
From: <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:58:19 -0500
Dan,

I had a vibration in my BJ8 for 25+ years and did several things to address it.
 Not much difference.  Then there was a discussion a few years back about out
of round and out of balance brake drums.  I  borowed my mechanics old bubble
balancer and some weights.  Sure enough!  Both were definitely not balanced.  I
proceeded to balance them by welding some 1/4 rod on the perimeter and then
grinding to get the best balance I could.  (  It took 1-2 ounces on each one.)
NO MORE SHAKE!  And I have run it up to 90 or so!  Worked out so well I did
likewise to the drums on my BN7 and it is much smoother as well.

I would suggest you at least verify that yours are balanced before you go
tearing into the diff or tranny.

Keith Pennell