Re: [Healeys] release bearings

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] release bearings
From: Healeyguy <healeyguy@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:25:57 -1000
Bob
The offset (distance)  on the release bearing (carbon) from the center of the
pivot to the face of the carbon doughnut is different for each one because of
the three different clutch cover (pressure plate) assemblies used. They are 9",
10" and 9 1/2" from earliest to latest cars.

The offsets differ by approximately 1/4".  The thickest clutch cover is the 10"
unit with uninstalled distance from mounting face (where it connects to the
flywheel) to the surface that the carbon bearing rides measures about 3",
followed by the 9" at 2 3/4" and then the later 9 1/2" diaphragm clutch at 2
1/2". Of course this distance changes when the clutch disc and pressure plate
are bolted to the flywheel. The 9 1/2" clutch pack uses a release bearing that
measures 1 1/4 " as measured per my first sentence.

As an aside to this, some of the newer Country brand release bearings for the 9
1/2" clutch have been 1/8 inch or more thicker than the standard.  This causes
a constant contact on the carbon when first installed and as a result a smoky
clutch.  Reference: See my email request of six+ months ago. The bearing wears
down quickly but as a result destroys the tight fit on the carbon doughnut and
subsequent bearing failure. No fun!
Aloha
Perry

In a message dated 12/21/08 13:02:05 Hawaiian Standard Time,