[Healeys] Zinc in springs

To: "'healey list'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Zinc in springs
From: Daniel and Diane White <dwhite4949@wowway.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 09:12:09 -0500
> Listers,
>
> A while back, there was a discussion on the types of liners used between
>leafs on rear springs.  According to my catalogs, the later cars used rubber
>strips, but our BN2 has metal strips which, if I recall, are made of zinc.
>
> Does anyone know the type of zinc alloy (or pure zinc) used?  Also, does
>anyone know a source for the strips or for zinc sheet in the correct type and
>thickness?  Alternatives (think teflon was mentioned)?
>
> TIA,
> Bob

Bob,

When I re did my leaf springs I checked all the spring shops in my area
(metro Detroit) and struck out as far as finding the proper zinc
material.  I decided against teflon because I wanted to stay as
original.  I finally found a source that has the proper thickness (they
use it to make kitchen counter tops) and had them ship me a big roll of
it.  I used what I needed from it and my repair shop that rebuilt my
springs now has the rest of it.  If you like I can furnish more details.
   Maybe my shop will cut the required pieces and send them to you for a
reasonable price.

Regards,
Dan
'62 BN7 Mk II