Re: [Healeys] Save them from the crusher !

To: "Healey Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Save them from the crusher !
From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:09:52 -0800
This is not a new idea here in California.  I have received a couple of
letters from the State in the past offering me $500 if I would turn in my
'old' car.

I would seriously object if the program were mandatory.  I do not read that
in the proposal.  However, there are people out there that want ALL older
cars off the road.

How to control the loss of inoperative cars that MAY be valuable for their
parts would be a problem.  California already has a program to assist low
income folks have their cars repaired if they fail the SMOG test.  I
believe, however, that this is only a one-time offer.

This bears watching.  If it is voluntary, it may not be a big problem for
us.  When it starts to look like a mandatory program, then strong action
will be required.

I refer you to the last incident involving a CA bill where many believed
that our cars would be pulled back into the SMOG check program.  It tuned
out to be not true.  However, to quote another famous person, "Eternal
vigilence is the price of liberty".

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031