[Healeys] Exhaust header temp

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Exhaust header temp
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:48:44 -0800
My HS6 carbs (BJ7) are resisting my efforts to tune them.

Background .. rebuilt motor, rebuilt carbs, ignition timing good.

The front carb appears to be very rich despite turning the jet adjusting
nut way up compared to the rear carb and the motor is still not running
right.  If I compare the exhaust manifold temperatures with a non
contact laser type thermometer, the front headers close to the head are
100 F when the rear ones are about 350 F after warming up for 5 minutes
or so.

Curious if anyone can check what their well tuned beasts exhaust
manifold temps are. I realize the rear ones should be hotter because of
the sheltered location from the fan and air cooling but how much
difference do you record between the two?

I may have a problem with fuel pressure and/or leaking float needle but
the temp. info may help as I sort this out.  At any rate using the laser
thermometer might be an good/easy way to check for rich vs. lean balance
of two or more carbs.

Cheers,
John