[Healeys] Max advance check?

To: Healey <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Max advance check?
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:14:20 +0800
All -

I installed a new Pertronix dizzy on my A90 (like the BN1/BN2) and have the
whole lot running like a clock (engine fresh rebuild, 300 miles done, head
retorqued, rockers rebuilt and gapped .012 after retorque, spark splugs
gapped, carbs completely rebuilt and sync'd perfectly, no gas leaks, etc.),
but wanted to check the max advance.  At what high RPM should the advance
be, and should I check it with the vacuum advance on or off??

With advance connected, I'm getting around 32 to 35 BTDC at 3000 RPM which
seems a bit too advanced, but wanted to check if my methodology is right.
It is set at 6 BTDC at idle.  Car starts sputtering at 4K+ RPMs, but that
may be due to valve flutter as the A90 head only has one spring per valve...

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8