[Healeys] re paint question

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] re paint question
From: Carroll A Phillips <bjcap@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 08:22:21 -0500
Mark,
Depends on whats underneath your paint now, how thick, other coats(types of
paint) ,extensive body work? surface rust underneath that due to poor prep?
I personally would not keep overcoating layers, and if Im reading your post
correctly, would NOT paint an extra layer to see what needs to be sanded,
filled then another top coat of 4 more layers base/clear.  Seems to me
someone needs to asses your current sheetmetal condition first,then make a
decision, possibly a monetary one ($$$) on how far down you want to go,and
level of body/paintwork.
There are excellent writeups of the first steps recently done in the Austin
Healey Magazine By Roger Moment and Gary Anderson
Carroll Phillips    Top Down Restorations