Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healeys and the Australian Bushfires

To: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healeys and the Australian Bushfires
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:07:54 +0800
I don't know what to say other than.... "that just plain sucks."

Being from California originally, I've had several friends lose everything
in fire, it can be one of the most devastating things to happen to anyone.

One very important tip for people who have their cars in sheds or workshops
in the bush or forest - a simple step to prevent fire is to cover the
underside of the eves, or even better if you have a corrugated metal shed is
to put corrugated metal which covers the eves at an angle, or get rid of the
overhang altogether:

This is a big fire hazard:
   /\
  /  \
 /    \
/|    |\
 |    |
 |    |

This is an improvement:
   /\
  /  \
 /    \
/_    _\
 |    |
 |    |

This is better

This is the best:
   /\
  /  \
 /    \
/      \
\      /
 |    |

OR

   /\
  /  \
 /    \
 |    |
 |    |
 |    |

It's the eves that always let the cinders come up inside the structure and
set it on fire.

Another really good thing to have for a big workshop like this is to put
hanging fire breaks from the ceiling (using metal or fire rated dry wall),
say every 15 feet or so and at least 3 feet of depth which will keep smoke
and cinders that rise up from moving from one sector of the shed/workshop to
the next.

Best,

Alan

'52 A90