Re: [Healeys] pertronix

To: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] pertronix
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:31:58 -0800
Ron,

Since the Pertronix unit is solid-state it likely has diodes, capacitors
and transistors that cannot be reverse-biased (the main part of the
circuit is probably a power transistor that is switched by Hall Effect
from the magnets in the rotor--like solid-state SU fuel pumps). If
Pertronix could make a dual-polarity (bipolar ;) unit--like some SU fuel
pumps that use non-electrolytic capacitors (points don't care about
polarity)--they probably would because they could design, build, stock
and support fewer products for the same number of sales. I believe we've
heard from at least one Lister who installed a Pertronix 'backwards' and
the unit was fried instantly.

Don't 'toss' your pos. ground unit--I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. -
Henry Ford