[Healeys] 100-4 Piston Depth

To: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 100-4 Piston Depth
From: "rrengineer @dslextreme.com" <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:06:58 -0800
Can anyone tell me how close you can get the top of your pistons to the top
of the block?  The bare block I got for nothing that I built my motor from
does not have the head on it yet.  I am having the head ported and
polished.  During this process, the polisher asked me to take some modeling
clay and fill one of the piston tops at TDC and skim the excess off the
top.  He said to wad up what would fit in this void and he would drop it in
a measured beaker to see how many CCs it displaced to get an idea of how
much he could grind out of the combustion chamber in the head.  When I went
to fill this area with clay I discovered that the piston sits approx. 1/16th
of an ich ABOVE the top of the block.  This is something I did not notice
before because none of the pistons were at TDC before.  I'm guessing that
this will be a problem.  I have no idea how much was cut from the block
before I got it.  All I had done was a clean-up cut during machining.  Could
the cheap Moss pistons be too tall?  I'm thinking not, but maybe I'm gonna
need some custon pistons for this engine.
Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5