Re: [Healeys] Air conditioning?

To: ahmg@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Air conditioning?
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:25:36 +0100
Will the NOS original AC work properly with modern refrigerants as the
old stuff is not available legally anymore.
Better to use and modify a modern unit, perhaps using some original
under dashboard components. These units should work properly and will
have a far more reliable compressor. There are plenty of cars to choose
from. Best would probably be some unit from a small Japanese car (sorry).
Kees Oudesluijs

ahmg@aol.com schreef:
> In 1966 air conditioning was an approved BMC factory accessory as listed in
the salesman guide and showroom material. This was a very rare option and not
many were sold. I have just installed a factory system in my BJ8 with the help
of Hendrix Wire Wheel in Greensboro NC. I have also assumed the duties of
maintaing the registry that was started by Pat Yoas in the 80's. I have one
remaing complete system NOS still in orignal boxes as well as all literature
associated with the unit. They were actually produced by Coolaire of Miami,
but they also had a plant in Luton England. According to Pat Y, who discussed
the unit with Donald, told him that several were installed at the factory.
Since each unit has its own serial number, we have record of cars installed
with a/c.  Recently we believe we uncovered the earliest production unit based
on recorded serial numbers. I will be glad to discuss the units and my
installation with you if you would like to contact me off list.