[Healeys] Subject: Austin Healey 1959 Metropolitan

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Subject: Austin Healey 1959 Metropolitan
From: Jack Feldman <qualitas.jack@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:34:06 -0600
BMC naturally used as many common parts as possible. The Metropolitan had a
lot of parts like my BugEye.

One day I was sitting in my friends Met waiting for him. The Met had the
same light switch/ignition key set up as the BugEye. They key number was on
the ignition switch tumbler. It looked familiar so I took out my Healey key
and they were the exact same key! I wonder how often they repeated the keys.

Uncle Sam was even dumber. Years ago I bought a Post Office Jeep. It came
with a chain bolted to the car, just where the bail for the door opener was
located. When I asked what it was for I was told that the specification for
the Jeep required that ALL OF THEM be keyed alike. When someone realized
that stealing one key would allow access to all the Jeeps, they fastened the
chains to the car so the driver could use the chain and a padlock to lock
the vehicle! And we though the British Car industry was slow witted.

Jack