Re: [Healeys] Steering box shims and adjustment

To: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering box shims and adjustment
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:25:27 +0000 (UTC)
I've tried taking the 3/4" or so of slack out of my BJ8's steering with the peg
adjustment. If I tighten to where there's little or no slop, the steering is
'highcentered' (for lack of a better term); i.e. the steering is so tight there
is resistance to the wheels self-centering. I think any further adjustment has
to be done with shims and, right now, it's not worth the trouble.

I actually think a little bit of slack in the steering--as little as possible,
of course--helps keep the car from being too twitchy during straight-line
cruising (I think the manual suggests up to an inch of side-to-side play in the
steering wheel is acceptable).

IIRC, I used a deep socket to loosen the lock nut.

Bob