Re: [Healeys] Steering box shims and adjustment

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering box shims and adjustment
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:53:02 -0800
Have some comments on the steering adjustment:

Healeys use Worm-and-Peg steering. This is an obsolete 1930s system that wears
in the center position as you drive down the road.

Therefore it is not possible to adjust a worn box with the steering wheel on
center. You need to turn the wheel to one side, then adjust there.

Moss sells replacement pegs and Denis Welch sells replacment worms (expensive).

If you remove the tie rods from the steering arm, you can move the arm back and
forth by hand and feel when it rubs on the adjuster nut. It is possible to turn
the adjuster nut by hand to feel it _just_ start to rub with the arm off to one
side. That is a good position in which to tighten the locknut. I did this on
the bench as part of a bush replacement and it was really easy.

My car has received comments on the tightness of her steering. :)

--
Steve Gerow
59 BN6