[Healeys] Overdrive Restoration

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive Restoration
From: Mark Schneider <mandmschneider@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 07:47:22 -0700
I am repairing my gearbox and overdrive from my BJ8.  I have the
nearly completed the dismantling, cleaning, evaluation of parts, and
ordering of needed replacement components.  I am seeking any
experience with dismantling the rear annulus section of the overdrive
unit.  My goal is to achieve an inspection of the two bearings
annulus.  My specific questions follow.  With the gearbox and
overdrive removed from the car and dismantled has someone developed a
method for removing the large nut at the rear drive line flange?  It
will require locking the annulus shaft from rotating while loosening
and removing the nut.  Second, Am I correct in assuming that the
bearings are pressed onto the shaft and into the annulus housing?
Third, If my assumptionis correct, will heating the casing in the
vicinity of the bearings aid in their removal?  Thanks

Marks3