Re: [Healeys] FW: Healey gearbox, rear end,

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Healey gearbox, rear end,
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:21:37 -0400
Randy, I have a spare BJ7 gearbox that has never been rebuilt, but I used it
for about 10 years in my BJ8.  This was because the front bearing in the
original BJ8 gearbox broke up into a handful of metal fragments.  The BJ7
input shaft also has about 1/8 inch lateral play at its forward end.  I
never had any problem with the gears when this 'box was installed in my car.
Since the shaft is only supported at its aft end by the gearbox front
bearing when the gearbox is out of the car, there is going to be some amount
of lateral play in the shaft because of the inherent play in the bearing.
With the gearbox installed, of course, the shaft is supported at its forward
end by the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft and will not have as
much lateral movement.

I do not believe the input shaft movement is your problem, but if it were me
I would replace the gearbox front bearing for convenience.  I tend to  agree
with Mike Salter that you could be getting more than one gear due to
something wrong with the shaft interlock balls.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA