Re: [Healeys] Petronics

To: James Lea <clocks@midcoast.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Petronics
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:19:23 +0200
Most electronic ignitions provide a stronger spark and need at least a 3
Ohm resistance from the coil plus resistor at all times. During start up
the resistor is shorted to increase the voltage on the standard ignition
to provide a stronger spark as the voltage will drop due to the strong
current and the resistance will drop to about 1,5 Ohm. This may cause
the electronic ignition to overheat and possibly burn out.
Vulnarable are the Pertronics and Lumenition systems. Perhaps also others.

Because of the stronger spark the electronic ignition is providing this
shorting of the resistor is not neccesary anymore.
The remedy is simple, just disconnect the small white/yellow wire at the
starter motor relay. This will leave the resistor in function at all times.

Kees Oudesluijs