Re: [Healeys] Big Healey Pinion Oil Seal

To: Mark Schneider <mandmschneider@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Big Healey Pinion Oil Seal
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 20:23:57 -0700
It's a 'normal' right-handed thread.  The torque is handled by the yoke and
splines, the 'jesus' nut just secures the yoke to the pinion shaft.

The torque spec on the nut is 150ft-lbs, and there is probably a large split
lockwasher behind it.  I don't think a typical impact wrench will do the job,
you need a large breaker bar and possibly a length of pipe on the bar for
leverage--aka a 'snipe'--and penetrating oil and heat might help.  Make sure
the
car is properly secured, then get your cousin Rolf to put everything he has
into it.

Bob