Re: [Healeys] Sintered Bronze Bushes (& spigot bushes)

To: "Ed's Shop" <shop@justbrits.com>, Healey forum
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Sintered Bronze Bushes (& spigot bushes)
From: Jaap Aeckerlin <j.aeckerlin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:23:44 +0200
Sorry to say, Ed, but in this instance Barney doesn't know what he's talking
about. My company sold Oilite self-lubricating bearings and solid bars for
over 40 years and believe me: there is only one way to re-lubricate these
kind of porous bearings. Drop the bearing(s) in a container with engine oil,
heat the container to approx 210 F or 100 C till no more air bubbles are
expelled, take the heat source away and let the bearing(s) cool down while
still in the oil. That is the way the bearings are filled in the factory,
and that is the only proper way to refill.
Over 90 % of the holes or pores in the sintered bearings are so small that
the pressure of your thumb is not sufficient to get the pores filled with
oil. What Barney sees coming out is oil locked in the largest pores, but his
method is absolutely insufficient to fill the bearing properly.
Kind regards,
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432