Re: [Healeys] Bristleflex MacGregor

To: Peter Svilans <peter.svilans@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Bristleflex MacGregor
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:05:07 -0400
Peter,
I understand his need for control of the quality of his products, but
since he has developed a superior product he needs to get some of the
grunt work off of his chest and concentrate on the aspects that really
must have his attention.  Putting together orders, sending out samples,
and lower skill things like that are where help would free him up to do
the stuff where his abilities can be most utilized.
When you develop something that works better than anything else on the
market, you should expect people to want it.
Charlie

Peter Svilans wrote:
> You're right, Charlie, the business would definitely benefit from some help to
> handle the load.
>
> While he has had help occasionally, in the end he prefers to work alone, in
> sole control of all aspects of his enterprise, particularly the standards of
> quality.
>
> I apprenticed with him learning the British car upholstery trade back in the
> eighties.    Along the way I enjoyed the great privilege of doing "Goldie''s
> mink and suede interior.   But three years was enough to see that a second,
> different personality hanging about his own personal place was not the ideal,
> preferred situation.
>
> Even back then, the groundwork for production of a better door seal was being
> laid, but I seem to recall that the minimum order for one colour and a custom
> profile was many thousands of feet. So a basic colour and profile applicable
> to different makes were considered first, with other colours to follow.  Being
> a former trim production engineer with British Leyland, he laid out exacting
> standards for the factory to follow, with many test failures, and there are
> still ongoing expenditures of personal time and money as the project moves
> along.
>

> With the highest regard for a master craftsman,
> Peter
>
> You are subscribed as mgcharlie@comcast.net
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
mgcharlie.vcf]