Re: [Healeys] Setting Valve Clearances

To: "'Ron Ray'" <ronald-ray@sbcglobal.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Setting Valve Clearances
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:37:31 -0400
It really isn't that hard Ron.
1. Loosen all the adjuster lock nuts
2. Turn the engine, either by clicking the starter or better still putting
the car in 4th gear and nudging it forward by pushing on the top of a wheel,
until one cylinder is on overlap. (You can tell that a cylinder is on
overlap because both valves for that cylinder are open, i.e no clearance).
3 . Adjust the clearances on the opposite cylinder. i.e. if #2 cylinder is
on overlap adjust the valves on # 5...if #6 is on overlap adjust the valves
on #1. Be sure to tighten the lock nuts on the tappets you have adjusted.
4. When you have adjusted both valves on that cylinder move the engine until
the next cylinder is on overlap (1/3 of a turn).
5. Again adjust the valves on the opposite cylinder.
6. When all the locknuts are tight you are finished.
Flat rate time 0.6 hrs..should be able to complete it in about 15 minutes
including fitting a new rocker cover gasket...

Michael Salter