Re: [Healeys] Socket Drive Dimensions

To: healeys@autox.team.net, andy pole <ampole@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Socket Drive Dimensions
From: Jaap Aeckerlin <j.aeckerlin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 20:47:07 +0200
I used to work in the UK at the time of the change over to metric dimensions
and for me, being educated in metric, that was very funny. I still remember
a l
huge billboard with the print of a human foot and the text  "This is not a
foot, it is 305 millimetres".  That was (and still is) not exactly true as
millimeters are used to indicate small dimensions - when you say "It's a
foot wide" (or long) you do not want to be accurate within 40 thou. The
right text should have been "This is about 30 centimeters".  Since our
change-over from Dutch Guiders into Euros I suddenly have far more
understanding for the people who still think  in 'old' units, as I am one of
them!
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432