Re: [Healeys] cell phones

To: "Healey Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] cell phones
From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 21:07:53 -0700
Chapter One:

I finally got a cell phone.  It's primary use is for making long distance
calls as we got tired of all the fees and taxes on the landline phone.  I
carry the cell with me when I leave the house but do not turn it on if my
wife is with me.  I turn it on when she is NOT with me so SHE can contact ME
in case of emergency.

Chapter Two:

> ---sure hope you don't get caught out in the middle of nowhere....... and
> have no way to call anyone least of which is AAA and for ordering an
> overnight parts shipment.....

I don't know how much things have changed but a few years ago a friend
acquired a phone through the AAA for a trip from California to the Midwest -
'in case of emergency'.  He found out that "in the middle of nowhere" there
were no cell towers and no connections.  Heck, there are people here in town
who encounter dead spots in or around their homes where their cell phones
are unable to connect.

Chapter Three:

Was in Radio Shack (Excuse me.  Now it is just "The Shack") the other day
and while being waited on, the phone rang.  The clerk told the caller that
he had customers in line and he couldn't talk to him right then and hung up.
I thanked him for doing that.

Then I found out that the clerk had the attitude that the caller was too
lazy to come to the store and  he couldn't be bothered answering a question
on the phone.   I do not agree with the the clerk's attitude.  If a store is
a distance away, especially in another town, I will not drive there for
minor information or to find out if they have an item in stock and, most
likely, find out they do NOT when I get there.  I will call ahead before
making the trip.  If they are busy, I will not mind calling back although I
think the better solution from a customer satisfaction position would be
that they take my phone number and call ME at their first opportunity.

Chapter Four:

I firmly believe, and am convinced by all the research and studies being
reported, and observation on the road, that the use of cell phones while
driving, along with eating, reading, etc., is a major distraction and should
be avoided  (I have never seen a study that said it is OK to be talking or
texting while driving).  I believe that driving takes 100% of one's
concentration and if you're trying to do something else at the same time,
you can do neither adequately.  I will accept the statistics before someone
who says, "I do it all the time and haven't had an accident".

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031