[Healeys] [Fwd: Re: Donald Healey Mini]

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] [Fwd: Re: Donald Healey Mini]
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 17:54:34 +1000
Josef.Eckert@t-systems.com wrote:

>Most Austin-Healeys were built by BMC and the factory was in
>Longbridge/Abingdon. DMH only had some special rights to modify some with
>works guarantee. I mean the 100Ms.  And place suggestions for further
>development of the Austin-Healey models. And DMH at times has got the rights
>from BMC to prepare the works Rally and Race cars for them.
>So DMH in Warwick was just a modifier and "Consultant" for BMC and the
>Austin-Healey cars left BMC factory.
>
>Josef Eckert
>Konigswinter/Germany
>
>JOSEF,

Rally Austin Healeys were built by the old MG Competitions Dept. which
became known as BMC Competitions Dept. They did MG's and Mini's as well
as Austin Healeys.

Completely seperate and much smaller was the Donald Healey Moter
Company, a seperate and independant British business that applied to
Austin/BMC for a budget to build mainly road racing cars for publicity
from competing at Sebring in March, and LeMans in June. The Targa Florio
was often entered. All these cars had chassis plates that did not
mention AUSTIN HEALEY only the name HEALEY. Usually they were Healey
Blue with white hardtops for 3000's. Sprites were red, or orange or
green. Early Healey 100's were green. See Bill Emerson's excellant 'The
Healey Book' for photographs of these chassis plates.
You may not like it but the first owners of a freshly built Works Rally
Healey were -----  MG Company. Painted red and white.
First licensed /registered owner of the HEALEY chassis plate cars were
Donald Healey Motor Co.

>From late 100/6s production Healeys were delivered from Jensen without
motor, gearbox and wheels to the MG Factory for final assembly at Abingdon.

Joe