Re: [Healeys] Dropped the engine

To: "'Bob Yule'" <autofarm@cyg.net>, "'Mirek Sharp'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dropped the engine
From: "Al Fuller" <al@bighealey.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:41:34 -0400
I haven't done 'hundreds' of engine lifts, but many ...  Anyway, last year
we were putting the engine back into my BT-7 and it fell.  I was using a
lift from one of the local club members, and a set of chains from another.
One of the bolts holding the chains together snapped, then the other, and
WHAM - the engine was laying in the engine bay [elapsed time was about 1/2
second from start to finish - so don't even think about dodging it.  When it
starts to go, it's gone] ...

Luckily, both my helper [another Healey owner] and I were just standing
there and did not have hands in the engine bay.

The moral of the story for me is that while the engine studs may be fine for
lifting the engine, always look out for the weak link - literally.

Al Fuller
al@bighealey.org
'62 BT-7
'65 BJ-8