Re: [Healeys] knockoffs

To: <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] knockoffs
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:00:41 -0400
I stopped using hammers several years ago.  I have two wrenches I use - the
first is a commercial one I got from either TRF or Moss, can't remember.  It
is metal and fits over the ears and is about 3' long.  I always use a towel
or rag around the ear where the metal touches and it works great.  No more
banging and messing up the ears and it gets the knockoff very tight.  To
loosen I leave the tire on the ground and the tool always gets the knockoff
loose.

The other is plywood I made from a pattern from one of my many LBC
magazines.  It is much like the commercial one except you use the knockoff
as a template and cut a hole in the plywood to match the knockoff.  When you
cut the plywood just leave a 3' long handle attached to the knockoff
template.  I used 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood which makes it very strong and
thick enough to grab the knockoff and turn it.  Both work very well.
Pete