Re: [Healeys] coil wire

To: "wpollock@inbox" <wpollock@inbox.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] coil wire
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:04:38 -0700
The magnetic field in the high-tension lead is inducing voltage, hence a
current
and spark, across the screwdriver.  All electric currents do this, in fact,
motors, coils and solenoids depend on it.  Too much and you'll get a miss or
possibly cross-firing.

If you don't have a miss I wouldn't worry about it.  The only way to prevent it
would be to use some sort of shielding that is grounded to the engine (like
coax
cable has).  I think that's also why some ignition systems use 8mm wires
(Healeys' are 7mm, I believe), and 'modern' wires are wire-wound or otherwise
shielded (also to reduce radio noise).

If you grab the lead with your bare hands you'll be able to detect the field as
well ;)  (PLEASE DON'T DO THIS)

bs