[Healeys] Pinion seal puzzle

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Pinion seal puzzle
From: Thomas Morrione <tjmorrio@colby.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:43:37 -0400
Hello list folks. This is my first post. I9ve been reading the list for
about a month and and I9m really glad to have you as a resource.

I9m working on a BJ8 restoration (had a 100-6 in college about 45 years ago)
and a knowledgeable machinist/restorer is helping me out with it. He9s
working on the rear axle  and has run into this problem. He says:

3I have been working on your rear axle and have run into a problem.  I have
assembled the pinion shaft and adjusted the bearings with shims.  I am
having problems with the pinion seal.  The new seal that I received is too
small on the I.D..  A second seal arrived and it was also too small.  I
called another supplier and had them measure the seal and it was just like
the other 2 that I had received.  The new seals have an I.D. of approx.
1.350" and the old seal is 1.500".  I checked the seals out of both rear
axles that you left here and they are identical at 1.500" I.D..  All the
suppliers that I have talked to say that all of the Healey axles use the
same seal (the one that they sent) and there is no other option and they
have sold hundreds without any problems.  I will continue to solve this
problem and may need to purchase a seal by dimensions t fit your axle.  Let
me know if you have any thoughts on this issue.  I am sure that I am not the
only one to have had this problem.2

A Healey person who has provided parts, moral support, and advice said:

3My only thought would be that the rear end in your car was swapped out at
some point. Many times an owner would put a rear end out of an Austin
Princess in their car to get a higher ratio. I think the best solution would
be to order a seal from a speciality bearing supplier by dimensions.
Good Luck With This One.2

I9m thinking that it9s unlikely that both rear axles were swapped out and
have 1.500 ID seals.
Any thoughts about what to do would be appreciated.

Tom M