Re: [Healeys] No acceleration - random thoughts

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] No acceleration - random thoughts
From: "Steve Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:53:39 -0700
Other ideas:

Check spark plug wires in darkness for fireworks - if so, replace. Old
resistor wires don't last that long with the screws in the dist cap.
(Conventional wisdom - not my personal observation - no flames needed)

I had a new replacement dist cap where the center screw is out of alignment
so the coil wire cannot properly be connected. Car runs as you describe with
this cap.

Check carbon button & spring in dist cap - I once reinstalled the cap
without the button and it actually ran, sort of.

If boot cutoff switch is still being used, disconnect white & black wire at
coil - the one coming from the chassis to the coil, not from the coil to the
distributor. I had a friend who's car would crap out after 2 miles when this
switch would heat up. There's been a lot of discussion on the unreliability
of this switch.

Check float levels - fuel delivery up to spec.

Float integrity - no fuel in them, not sunk.

Fuel filters not clogged.

Statistically a running problem is far more likely to be ignition-related
than fuel-related.

--

Steve Gerow

Pasadena, CA, USA