Re: [Healeys] BJ7 - CLOSE RATIO GEARBOX

To: "'Alan Seigrist'" <healey.nut@gmail.com>, <scott@scottjgraham.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ7 - CLOSE RATIO GEARBOX
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:33:17 -0400
Michael Salter
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=445

Scott,
Unless you are abusing it badly a BJ7 gearbox should last for years. Many
Healey drivers do not realize that 1st gear is not designed for regular use.
The 1st gear on the laygear is a 13 tooth straight cut spur gear which by
its very design wears quickly, particularly under high loads. I suggest that
you start learning to start off in 2nd gear; the car may not blast off the
line quite as quickly but when all is said and done you will find that it
will get up to speed almost as fast when you remove the pause caused by the
1st to 2nd shift and, in addition, clutches are much less expensive and more
readily available than gears.
The problem with regular heavy use of 1st gear is that the hardened steel
shards which peel off the gear make their way into the laygear needle roller
bearings resulting in their premature demise; and this is the same reason
the speed shifts into first or grinding into reverse should be avoided at
all costs.
BTW installing a magnetic plug in the gearbox can go a long way toward
prolonging the life of these boxes. The magnet in the overdrive does help
but metal has usually gone through the box several times before it makes its
way back there.

Michael Salter
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=623

You are subscribed as msalter@precisionsportscar.com