[Healeys] No acceleration - update

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] No acceleration - update
From: "Paul Leeks" <Paull@glasgows.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:36:55 +0100
Many thanks for the fantastic response and plethora of suggestions.

I had tried a number of them already but now have a few more to go at!

In addition, David Hall, over here in Lancashire, has very kindly offered me
access to his technical expertise and college facilities.  So I am hopeful we
will be able to nail it down.  I shall, of course, report back on the final
diagnosis ...

In the meantime, for those of you with similar problems, I have tried to
distil all the suggestions into one list:

Ignition
Plug leads breaking up
Point gap and condenser
Spark plugs
Flash over on wire from the distributor to coil and plugs
Distributor cap centre screw out of alignment
Carbon button & spring in dist cap
Faulty boot cutoff switch
Advance weights inside the distributor not binding
Distributor's advancing when you rev the engine up to 3000
Valve timing chain is out
TDC mark is accurate

Fuel
Weak/lean mixture
Oil in the dash pots - use 3in1
Crud/rust in the tank starving car of fuel
Fresh petrol
Fuel filters clogged
Holes in carb diaphragm / Wear in carb shafts
Carb float levels (integrity/not holed or sunk)

Other
Valve seats ground in
Leaks in the vacuum lines/manifold
Low compression
Poor sealing of inlet manifold with head
Busted advance diaphragm/plugged or disconnected vacuum

Hope this helps and once again many thanks to you all.

Cheers
Paul Leeks

http://www.star.net.uk