Re: [Healeys] 123 distributor settings for 6 cyl

To: "'Jerry Costanzo'" <grumpyinloomis@ssctv.net>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 123 distributor settings for 6 cyl
From: "Eric Frenken" <lists@brits-n-pieces.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:17:47 +0200
All my degree signs have been garbled, so here's my 2nd try:

Jerry,

it depends on which kind of 123ignition you have installed. I suspect it's
the GB-6, which is the most suitable (and most common) for our Healeys.

Your ignition is far too much advanced. With this setting you'll ruin your
engine in a short time.

As a reminder: profile 8 is 10@1,000|17@2,000|33@4,500 (straight lines in
between)

If you calculate the advance your engine should have at 3,000 rpm with
profile 8 by interpolating (straight line) the values given at 2,000 and
4,500 rpm, you get 23 deg (to be accurate 23.4). You have measured
35@3,000rpm, which means you have advanced the ignition about 12 deg
additionally to profile 8. This in succession will result in a maximum
advance of 45@4,500 rpm (accurately 44.6@4,500 rpm) and an idle ignition of
about 21-22 BTDC, both which are far beyond the values the Healey engine
will tolerate. I assume the vacuum line was disconnected when you did the
measurement.

I've had very good experience with profile B while setting the ignition to
32@3,000 rpm. This setting results in a maximum advance of 38@4,500 rpm and
an idle ignition of 15 deg BTDC.

Of course all the settings depend on the condition and tuning state of your
engine and the quality of fuel you're using. For a tuning guide for the
123ignition have a look onto our website.

Description of 123ignition:
http://brits-n-pieces.com/shop/product_info.php/info/p6786
Installation & Tuning guide:
http://www.brits-n-pieces.com/pdf/manuals/123ignition/123GB6RV.pdf