[Healeys] Garage and workshop design

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Garage and workshop design
From: healeyguy@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:20:19 -0400
Mike
Your space will never be big enough so over build as much as you can
afford and/or the wife will allow. Storage of non garage related items
is always an issue. Build into the house all the storage for non car
related stuff. Items for garden/lawn/bikes/household/etc don't belong
in the garage or workshop but they will start to show up there quickly.

Car parts storage/ shelving for chemicals/ paints/ etc should be
separated from the car parking area. Best if you can designate a
working bay in the garage for a project. I have a Healey that I drive,
one that is under restoration, a Jag that is partially done and a
Bugeye that was my son's that has been stored for 8 years. That takes
up a lot of space. The wife's car and company truck ends up outside in
the driveway. Doesn't make points with the wife. May be illegal in your
neighborhood. You don't want to park the daily driver or your BN2 next
to the dirty work area without some protection. It gets old moving the
good cars outside while you grind away on the project.

Oh did I mention that big parts that show up from time to time that
don't fit in the designated parts storage area? I have a 24 x 10 foot
fenced area outside next to the garage that I store shrouds, frame
sections, fenders, wheels, tires, etc.

Your work bench will seem huge when you build it but soon will be
clogged with partially done subassemblies delayed by the honey do list
or stuff that just came in from Moss etal. Don't forget that that spare
engine that you just couldn't turn down will be poking out from under
the bench that you can conveniently stub your toe on occasionally.

Let see, you may want to build a loft in the top of your garage to
store the parts that you really don't need but can't throw out. In
previous discussions it seemed that most folks, read really old Healey
owners, like the lifts more than the pits. That may apply to more
things in life other that working on your car. Remember that your
garage design will need the additional headroom to accommodate the car
on the raised lift. A mistake there will quickly modify the previous
constructed loft not to mention what will happen to your Healey.

Don't forget the air compressor, mig welder, plasma cutter, welding
tanks, engine stand, etc, etc that takes a bunch more floor space.
Enough for now. Any questions just ask, but just so you know up front I
can't afford to fund your building project.
Aloha
Perry