Re: [Healeys] chassis painting: electro coating vs. powder coating

To: Tadeusz Malkiewicz <tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] chassis painting: electro coating vs. powder coating
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:40:24 +0200
Tadeusz,

It is the proces used by many car manufacturers to be able to get some
degree of coating on inaccessible areas to improve corrosion resistance.
The problem with coating an old chassis is that it needs to be
absolutely clean and rustfree in- and externally for the coating to be
effective.

Never have a chassis or chassis/suspension parts powder coated.
Corrosion will creep under the coat out of sight when small deficiencies
occur and can cause serious havoc.  In fact powder coating is absolutely
unsuitable for car applications when chip/scratch damage and subsequent
moisture ingression and rust can occur. I regard it as a dangerous
practice to do so. You may use it in the interiour of the car.

I prefer simpel cleaning, removing all rust externally, as much as
possible internally, priming and painting. After a couple of weeks,
leaving it in a warm and very dry environment, mist the internal
crevices with rust proofing wax, avoid thick layers of it, or
spray/inject with a product like Waxoil. You may have to drill a few
small holes to reach all area's. These are sealed afterward with plastic
plugs.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL