Re: [Healeys] Oil Change Frequency

To: Dan Stromquist <dan@warner-associates.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Change Frequency
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:19:28 +0100
Changing oil is more an attitude than a neccesity according to many.
There have been plenty of tests with cars that ran on the same oil for
years without any ill effects and showing no extra wear compared with a
regular serviced vehicle when the engines were dismantled. Also the
ANWB, Dutch AA or AAA road assistance had  several cars running on the
same oil all there life without appearant increased wear to the engines.
A former MD of Castrol in the Netherlands claimes that it is only
neccesary to change the oil when the acidity reaches a certain level.
Just change the oil filter. A bit similar to the oil changes in ships
and lorries
Are we being conned by the industry? Likely to at least some extent but
I do not want to run the risk to find out so I change oil every year,
regardsless of the miles I do.
Concerning the lawn mower I had the same experience. Same B&S engine,
running from 1987 up to last year when the chassis gave up, mowing a
large lawn (well in Dutch terms) of about 1000m2 year in year out. Never
changed the oil, it was just inconvenient at the time you needed mowing.
I have added some small quantity of oil once or twice during all those
years when the level was a bit low.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL