Re: [Healeys] Lubrication - water pump

To: robertduquette@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lubrication - water pump
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:17:58 -0400
Robert,

The early pumps with the bolt-on pulley have two deep row ball bearings,
one at the front and one at the 'rear'.  They fit snugly in the bore of
the pump housing and there's a distance piece between them on the shaft.
  So they're not floating.  The bore in the housing between the bearings
is bigger.  The rear bearing is pushed out through the front of the
body.  When it's pressed out of the rear bearing bore into the center
cavity it may get cocked when it hits the front bearing bore.  Just need
to make sure it's centered before pressing it out.  The factory tool had
a bushing that piloted on the front bearing bore to keep the
tool/bearing centered.

The workshop manual I have for the 6 cylinder cars calls for grease.  I
see that the 100 workshop manual calls for oil.  I'd use NLGI #2 grease
sparingly as there isn't a front seal and you don't want to push the
grease past the oil seal onto the carbon (water) seal.

Bob