Re: [Healeys] Leaking radiator

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaking radiator
From: Alan Bromfield <bluehealey@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:05:23 +0000
The  plug you have found under the top tank is a legacy fitting from the
days when the capillary temperature sender used to be installed there.
Later cars moved the sender to the cylinder head.  A much more sensible
location. Imagine - low water in the rad would result in a COLD reading at
the temp gauge. Not exactly intuitive is it?

The tap in the bottom tank has always seemed a bit crazy to me adding
unnecessary complication. My recommendation is to replace it with a brass
plug and fibre (or soft copper) washer.